Become a Member
The Yukon Film Society (YFS) is seeking a dynamic and social media savvy individual to coordinate social media, media relations and marketing for Yukon Film Society activities and manage YFS’ Available Light on Demand (ALD) digital distribution service.
The Marketing & Distribution Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Artistic Director, YFS Administrator and Board of Directors, and in collaboration with the Technical Coordinator and Programs Producer.
The Yukon Film Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to nourishing filmmakers and film lovers through the following mandate:
About Available Light Film Festival (ALFF) 2021
Taking place Feb. 5 – 14, 2021, the 19th annual Available Light Film Festival will feature 50+ screenings of contemporary International and Canadian cinema in Whitehorse, Yukon. ALFF programming includes a special focus on cinema and screen content from Northern Canada and Indigenous filmmakers from around the globe.
About Available Light Cinema (ALC)
Available Light Cinema provides Yukon audiences with opportunities to see independent fiction and documentary features not typically available in local theatres, and often not readily accessible through mainstream online platforms. In order to comply with COVID-19 precautions, the 2020/21 season will include online ALC at Home screenings, and reduced capacity theatrical screenings at Yukon Arts Centre. We anticipate a total of approximately 35 ALC screenings 2020/21.
About Available Light on Demand (ALD)
Available Light on Demand is a strategic initiative to digitally distribute Yukon films and media art. This service gives Yukon films an online home on an on-demand platform available to audiences around the world. Available Light on Demand is a space for building a filmmaker’s audience and demographics through analytics and exhibition opportunities, and is designed to be a one-stop shop for diverse, artist-driven Yukon content.
Social media and communications for Available Light Film Festival (ALFF) 2021 / Available Light Cinema / YFS:
Approximately 50 hours per month
● Post about films, filmmakers, festival, tickets, pass sales, partners, sponsors, etc. on Facebook/Instagram/twitter/newsletters
● Reach out to sponsors to request they share the film or event they sponsored with their social media or mailing list audiences
● Run promos for tickets and passes
● During ALFF 2021, write up ‘highlights’ to go out to YFS mailing list and ArtsNet
● Posts for industry events on Facebook and Instagram for ALFF Industry conference
● Update public about event changes and ticketing information
● CBC’s Monday/Thursday marquee announcements
● Provide info to designer for bi-weekly What’s Up Yukon Highlight ads and ensure they are submitted
Media coordination for ALFF 2021:
● Set up interviews with local media
● Media releases and outreach to newspapers and What’s Up Yukon to arrange interviews, photos, stories
● Coordinate interviews, photos, anything media related for attending guests
● Provide a report for ALFF 2021 by February 28, 2021, which includes a list of all media coverage and social media statistics.
Available Light On-Demand (ALD)
Approximately 60 hours per month
● With website designer, arrange any necessary edits/updates to the ALD website
● Organize meetings of the ALD Curatorial Committee to choose the remaining 18 ALD titles for 2020/21
● Draw up contracts for ALD films, using the template provided by YFS
● Implement social media and digital advertising campaigns for ALD films
● Organize and attend one webinar training session on digital film and media arts marketing for staff and up to 10 filmmakers featured on ALD. Ensure that attendees fill out Evaluation Forms
● Compile monthly analytics reports for social media and film rentals, and distribute to filmmakers quarterly
● Adjust and reschedule film releases and online marketing according to analytics results and data
● Publish ALD annual report on the ALD website every April.
● Assist with applications for funding for future years of the ALD service.
● Assist with outreach to local sponsors for ALD
● Assist with reporting to ALD funders
● Liaise with cinematheques, film and media arts festivals, film and media industry to promote ALD and share ALD experiences
● Develop opportunities to license ALD content to educational and other markets
● Contract local filmmakers to assist with creating digital media content to promote specific films in ALD and the service generally. This includes interviews with directors, screen talent, a short trailer highlighting work in the catalogue, and remastering support material filmmakers have in their personal archives
● Strong knowledge of the film and media arts industry
● Excellent social media, print, radio and TV media skills
● Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
● Editing and filming skills
● Proven proficiency with Google analytics and digital design
● Strong organizational skills
● Excellent administrative and record-keeping skills, and attention to detail
● Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a team
● Desire to take initiative on new projects
● Proficiency with Microsoft software (Word and Excel) and Mac computer
● Experience working with cloud-based collaborative software an asset (YFS uses Zone Festival)
● Post-Secondary education related to media arts and/or communications an asset
● Experience working in the non-profit sector an asset
● Valid driver’s license an asset
This is a permanent position at $25 per hour, for an average of 27.5 hours per week. YFS has a modest staff health benefits program.
Please submit a cover letter addressing your qualifications with a resume and at least one letter of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin as early as September 10th, 2020 and applications will be accepted ongoing until the position is filled.
This position is funded by the Canada Council for the Arts.