Now accepting applications for General Manager - Yukon Film Society
August 30, 2021
Do you have a passion for film, cinema and media arts? Are you a creative and strategic leader? Do you want to be a part of an evolving community hub in the North? If this sounds like you, we may have the perfect job opportunity for you! The Yukon Film Society is hiring a General Manager to be a part of our dynamic and dedicated team.
The Yukon Film Society (YFS) is a thriving 37-year-old non-profit organization committed to ensuring the vitality and excellence of media arts in the Yukon and the North. We exhibit independent cinema, film, audio, and digital media artwork, provide filmmaking resources and equipment to our members, and training and professional development about film and digital media production and distribution. Our programming focuses on films that that represent the experiences of Indigenous peoples, explore natural history and ecology, represent the lives and stories of other cultures, include LGBTQ+ themes, films by and about women, and films that reflect the experiences of people living in northern and rural regions. (www.yukonfilmsociety.com)
As the organization’s General Manager, you will be a self-directed team player with experience organizing events, writing grants and raising sponsorships. The GM will work in collaboration with the YFS Artistic Director and Board to hire and manage staff and contractors, help plan and implement programing, and oversee the organization’s finances. We have exciting things in the works and we’re looking for a dynamic General Manager to help take our organization to the next level.
YFS is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply; however, preference will be given to qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous or people of colour.
The Yukon Film Society is based in the traditional territories of the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council and Kwanlin Dun First Nation in Whitehorse, Yukon and gratefully acknowledges that it’s an honour and a privilege to present and support the creation of the art of cinema and story-telling on these lands.
If you are a self-directed team player who loves film, cinema and media arts, with experience organizing events, writing grants and raising sponsorships, and you are ready to help move the Yukon Film Society to the next level, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is the full job description:
This is a permanent full-time position working in collaboration with the Artistic Director, Administrator and the YFS Board of Directors. The Employee’s responsibility is to manage and help plan the operations of YFS to provide regular services and special projects for its members and the public, and take the lead on sponsorship and fund-raising for YFS. After a 6 to 8-month training/orientation period the General Manager will also take over administration and financial management.
Duties of the General Manager include but are not limited to:
- Contributing to regular staff meetings;
- Reporting monthly to the Board of Directors about projects and fund-raising;
- Working with the Artistic Director and Administrator to produce and update organizational and project budgets;
- Supporting the Board of Directors in the development of new policies, advising on organizational development, and creation of committees;
- Taking the lead on hiring staff and contractors by creating Job Descriptions and Employment Opportunity advertisements on ArtsNet, YuWin, YFS website and newsletters
- Drawing up contracts for contractors and staff;
- Managing 3 to 5 staff including summer students and program staff by providing orientation, training, creating work plans, and providing performance evaluations;
- Working with the Board and Administrator to ensure compliance with the new Societies Act and Regulations;
After 6 to 8-month training/orientation period:
- Working with the bookkeeper and board treasurer,
- Payroll and banking,
- Fulfilling obligations with public agencies and liaising with accountants in the preparation of financial reviews, audits and statements.
- Helping to plan and implement annual programs that help YFS to achieve its mission and promote exhibition and production activity. Programs currently include but are not limited to: workshops, Available Light Film Festival and Industry conference, Yukon48 Hour Film-making Challenge, equipment rentals, Available Light on Demand OD service, Jenni House Artist Residencies (with the Jenni House partners) and YFS Cinema library;
- Helping to plan and implement special programming
- Ensuring all communications to the public reflect the mission of the organization on a regional and national level;
- Preparing grant applications, managing relationships with funding agencies, submitting reports and other information as required;
- Taking the lead on sponsorship and fundraising for the Available Light Film Festival;
- In partnership with the YFS Board, assisting with annual plans and fundraising programs for annual giving, endowment giving, planned giving, grants and sponsorships, and exploring new fundraising opportunities;
35 hours per week at $27 to $31/hour depending on experience. YFS has a modest health benefits plan.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Experience working in the film, cinema or media arts sector
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Experience with funding proposals and reports, and sponsorships
- Experience working with and in diverse communities
- Experience with social media
- Strong administrative, and record-keeping skills
- Proven event organizing abilities
- Proven ability to work positively and constructively with staff, funders, Board, and volunteers
- Flexibility and adaptability to assist with new projects, challenges and technologies as they arise
- Ability to take initiative and work in a self-directed manner
- Proficiency with Microsoft software (Word and Excel) and Mac computer
- Experience working with Quickbooks
- Experience working with web-based event management software and virtual cinema platforms an asset (YFS uses Zone Festival, FilmFreeway and Eventive)
- Experience working in the non-profit sector an asset
- Valid driver’s license an asset